1. Scope and purpose
Our collection statement provides further details relating to specific instances of collection of your personal information.
2. Kinds of personal information we collect and hold
- The kinds of personal information we collect and hold about you depends on the circumstances of the collection. We may collect and hold the following kinds of personal information:
- contact details, including address, email address and phone number;
- date of birth;
- driver licence;
- details in connection with your purchase and use of our products and services, including your Polestar ID, your use of Polestar vehicles and Polestar Connect, vehicle servicing, warranty claims and safety recall details;
- financial information, including credit card or bank details; and
- details you provide to us, including through enquiries, marketing and promotional activities and surveys.
- We may collect and hold your sensitive information. For example, there may be sensitive information in an enquiry or request you submit, or in your driver licence photo or a photo of you taken at our Polestar retail spaces, roadshows or events.
- We may collect vehicle-recorded information from time to time that does not identify you, including to diagnose and rectify faults in vehicles, and for our and our related entities’ product development and business purposes.
3. How we collect personal information
- We collect your personal information from you when you:
- interact with us, including when you use our website and app;
- purchase or use our products or services;
- submit an enquiry, request or complaint to us;
- participate in Polestar surveys, market research activities and marketing campaigns;
- provide products or services to us or provide personal information as part of a contractual arrangement with us;
- work at a Polestar retail space or Polestar Authorised Service Point; and
- apply for a job at Polestar.
- We may also collect your personal information from a third party, including:
- your authorised representatives, such as your family member, when they provide your personal information on your behalf, including to book a test drive for you;
- Polestar operators when you interact with them, including in a Polestar retail space;
- Polestar Authorised Service Point operators when you service your Polestar vehicle at a Polestar Authorised Service Point;
- our related entities, including Polestar Performance AB, when you create a Polestar ID account, use Polestar Connect services, sign up to the Polestar newsletter, subscribe to Polestar marketing communications or an event or complete a Polestar survey;
- service providers that assist with the operation of our business, including customer support specialists when you call our customer service team; and
- other third parties who are authorised to provide your personal information to us, including your vehicle finance or insurance companies.
- We may also collect your personal information from publicly available sources.
4. Purposes of collection and use
- The purposes for which we collect, hold and use your personal information depends on the circumstances of the collection. We use and disclose your personal information for the primary purpose for which it is collected or a reasonably expected related secondary purpose.
- For example, we may use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to verify your identity;
- to provide you with our products and services, including test drives or Polestar vehicle, or to notify you of safety recalls;
- to inform you of matters related to your Polestar vehicle ownership and provide vehicle support services, including warranty registration, service reminders and safety recalls;
- to inform you of any changes to our business, products or services, including changes to our terms and conditions and policies;
- to inform you of new products, services and events;
- to assist with the provision of third party products or services, including vehicle servicing, vehicle finance and roadside assistance;
- to respond to your enquiry, request or complaint or provide customer support;
- to maintain your customer record;
- to perform analytics, reporting and training and improve our products and services;
- to conduct surveys, research and development and online and social profiling;
- to communicate with you in connection with the products or services you provide to us;
- to consider your application for a job at Polestar; and
- for any other purposes you have consented to or required or authorised by law.
- We will disclose your personal information to third parties involved in the purposes set out in section 4
- For example, we may disclose your personal information to:
- Polestar operators;
- Polestar Authorised Service Point operators;
- our related entities;
- service providers that assist with the operation of our business, including our customer support specialists, identity verification service providers, vehicle pick-up and delivery providers, roadside assistance providers, website and app hosting providers, credit card processors, advertising and market research agencies and data analytics providers;
- regulatory authorities;
- third parties that provide products or service in connection with a Polestar vehicle or Polestar Connect, including finance companies, roadside assistance providers, wireless internet service providers and emergency responders;
- our insurance providers, auditors, legal and other professional advisers;
- third parties involved in safety recalls;
- any third party in connection with the sale or transfer of the Polestar company or its assets; and
- any other third party you have consented to or required or authorised by law.
- Some of those third parties are located outside Australia, including in Sweden, Germany, Ireland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
6. Third party applications and services
- You may access and use third party applications and services in connection with a Polestar vehicle, including through Polestar Connect and third party apps that are downloaded or pre-installed in the vehicle. Such use may require, for example, transmission of location and other personal information to the relevant third parties.
- We are not responsible for the collection or use of your personal information by such third parties. You should carefully review any applicable third party terms and privacy policies. If you have questions about a third party's use of your personal information, please contact them directly.
7. Direct marketing
- If you subscribe to our marketing communications, you may receive such communications via email, SMS, telephone and/or mail.
- You can unsubscribe by using any unsubscribe method included in the communication.
9. Storage and security
- All of the personal information we have about you is held in your customer record.
- Customer records are stored in a centralised global Polestar system.
- The centralised Polestar system has secure servers and other technical and organisational measures to prevent unauthorised access and use.
10. Retention and de-identification
- We will retain your personal information for as long as it is reasonably necessary for our functions and activities, unless we are required by law to retain it for a longer period.
- We may de-identify personal information such that it is no longer personal information and use it in the ordinary course of our business, including for analytics, reporting, training and research and development.
11. Access and corrections
- You can request access or correction of your personal information on polestar.com/au/data-subject-right-request/, providing full details of your request.
- We may request that you provide proof of identity before taking any action in relation to your request.
- We may not be able to provide you with access to your personal information in some circumstances, including where access may impact the privacy of another individual or due to another applicable exemption. If this is the case, we will inform you in writing.
- We may charge a reasonable fee for providing you with access to your personal information.
- You can make a complaint about our breach of the Australian Privacy Principles on polestar.com/au/data-subject-right-request/,.
- We will endeavour to acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 7 days.
- We will endeavour to respond to your complaint within 30 days of receiving all relevant details from you.
- If you are not satisfied with our response, you may lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at oaic.gov.au/privacy.